Thursday, October 13, 2005

RLS, Solution Looking For A Problem

If you haven't heard about Restless Leg Syndrome or RLS, then join the club. Neither have I until I saw a few pharmaceutical commercials on cable TV about a new product that addresses RLS. I can't remember the name of the product however I did remember the name of the syndrome.

It looks as if the drug companies have created a solution looking for a problem. I thought this was a joke, however I looked on the web and found the RLS web site. The 'four simple questions about RLS' has got to be a joke. I can answer yes to all four of the broad questions, so does that mean I might have RLS? This reminds me of another syndrome, ADD, that appears to have been fabricated by the pharmecetical companies so that Ritalin and other related drugs had a market to support.

It would be a shame to see RLS become a major cash cow for the drug companies just as ADD and Ritalin have infected 15-20% of our drugged child population. One solution to hyperactive children used to be more running around and playing outside. I know, I was a relatively hyperactive child for which my parents just let me play outside, sports and other physical things for which our modern obese children no longer do.

So will RLS be another solution in a pill that would otherwise be resolved by a non-drug solution like getting more exercise? Time will tell on this one. I plan to keep an eye on this and see how it turns out over the next several years.

1 comment:

^-^,-,~ Inu said...

Hmm, 3 previous comments and none of them seems all that related to your post.

I am one of those people who lacks the discipline to not take a pill. I have found the modern OTC medicines can help stave off more serious illnesses in my children. Also when dealing with diseases like asthma where lack of medication just starts a vicious spiral of worsening attacks, you can't skip the medication. Asthma is one of those diseases that gets worse over time after each episode as more scar tissue builds up.

Now back to your post. Yes this RLS thing smells of market creation. One of the questions, do your legs sometimes move unexpectedly can be answered YES by everyone. How many times have you almost fallen asleep only to have your legs or arms suddenly jerk you awake. I believe it's called the startle reflex and is present since you were born!

Also one of the ADHD drugs now has a warning for children. It may cause suicidal thoughts. I am so glad we won't use that on our kids. Yes they're hyper. But can you imagine how much creativity would be drugged out of them if they were calmed down by Ritalin and other ADD/ADHD drugs? I could go on about this subject, but that may be something I'll write about in my blog.
.:end:.