Thursday, October 20, 2005

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet

I was talking a co-worker recently about portable web browsers and he told me about the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. I have been using my Sony PSP as an internet tablet since Sony released the 2.0 firmware upgrade in August 2005. It is actually a decent WiFi device as a portable web browser. I use it almost everyday as a browser than as a game machine. Well, looks like other companies have been catching on to the internet tablet concept. Nokia's new device is designed specifically as a WiFi tablet. Here are f ew more articles about the device, "Nokia unviels Linux based 770 Internet Tablet", "Nokia Launches Linux Based 770 Net Appliance".

Based on the published specs, the Nokia 770 is slightly smaller than the PSP however has better resolution (800x600 x 64k colors) touch screen LCD and is running on top of a Linux operating system called Internet Tablet 2005 software edition. It has 128 MB RAM, supports WiFi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 1.2, and much more. It will only be available online in selected countries. I am not sure if the USA is one of the selected countries.

Internet tablets are definitely the trend of the future. Some of the usability features I like about using my Sony PSP as an internet tablet is that I can hold it while laying down on the couch with ease. Try that with a notebook computer that weigh 2-8 lbs. Your arms would tire quickly. The dimensions of the PSP are near ideal for a ultra portable web browser. The Nokia 770 looks interesting. I am sure there will be more of these devices on the market in the next year.

For now, looks like Nokia will be releasing this thing sometime in the next few months, "Nokia 770 Internet tablet delayed" (10/05/2005).

No comments: