Friday, November 11, 2005

Korg OASIS, Linux powered digital synth


This is what I have been waiting to see since the 1980s. I decided to major in computer science over music just because I thought it had a better chance of taking me further in my life. The merging of the best of breed in musical sythesizers, Korg, and the best of breed in computer operating systems, Linux, is the convergence I envisioned. The Korg OASYS is just this product. "Inside a Luxury Synth: Creating the Linux-Powered Korg OASYS". I own a Korg and have always thought they produced some of the best professional music products.

It took 20 or so years for the realization of this convergence. Based on Korg's innovations, I am sure all the other vendors in the music industry will be following suite. Looks like the proprietary operating systems embedded within music sythesizers will finally be coming to an end with Linux leading the way. The Korg OASYS is a high-end machine at approx $8000 today but those that can afford it and have to the time, I am sure it is the first of many new machines that integrate Linux as its primary operating system.

By the way, I started off playing guitar, got into keyboards, and then programming synthesizers and sequencers. To this day, I still manage to stay involved with music at some level. As far as which one has taken me further in my life, well, that is relative and my lifetime pursuit of computer science and music is still taking place. Anyway, I'd like to have one of these Korg OASYS machines. At least I know that in future, the next synth I buy will probably be some type of decendant of it.

1 comment:

^-^,-,~ Inu said...

Darn, winning mega millions ticket was sold in Anaheim...